The IOTA project has two main logos: the IOTA logo and the IOTA Foundation logo. Both sets of logos are
trademarked. However, they are subject to different licensing schemes and separate usage policies:
Persons or entities wishing to use either logo should carefully read and comply with the information below.
The IOTA logo symbolizes the IOTA Tangle and its associated suite of open-source distributed ledger and
machine-to-machine technologies. This logo is permissively and non-exclusively licensed under the Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0) license. The full legal text of the license should be
Parties interested in using the IOTA logo should:
- consult and adhere to the full terms and conditions listed on the CC BY-SA 4.0 website, as updated from time
to time; and
- follow the IOTA logo style guide instructions, as updated here from time to time; and
- make it clear that the Party using the logo has no affiliation with the IOTA Foundation and that the use of
the logo does not constitute an endorsement by the IOTA Foundation.
As an overview, three main categories of IOTA logo usage are permitted under this Creative Commons license
1. Non-commercial / not-for-profit uses:
Developers, community projects, partner organizations, etc. may make use of the IOTA logo provided they do so on a
non-commercial / not-for-profit basis. Some examples of permitted usages might include:
- Printing IOTA t-shirts, hats, or other “swag” items to be given away for free or sold to friends and family
members on a cost-recovery only basis.
- Creating an IOTA fan page on a social media outlet for purposes of educating IOTA users or potential users,
stimulating developer or researcher discussions, and/or generally raising awareness about IOTA.
- Designing and distributing marketing materials to advertise IOTA meet-ups, hackathons, conferences, developer
workshops or other similar events organized on a not-for-profit basis.
The above examples are only meant to be illustrative and not exhaustive.
2. “IOTA identifier” uses by journalists, analysts, exchanges, & others:
Projects and publications may use the IOTA logo to identify IOTA and distinguish it from other technologies in
situations where multiple different technologies (for example, IOTA, BTC, ETH, etc) are presented together and
there is a need to distinguish one from the other. Examples might include:
- press articles, social media posts, or technical reports that discuss multiple projects;
- cryptocurrency exchanges and other entities whose activities involve commercial or non-commercial offerings of
both IOTA-related and non-IOTA-related products and services.
3. “Powered by IOTA” uses:
Projects that draw from, interface with, or otherwise make use of the IOTA Tangle and/or another IOTA technology
may use the IOTA logo to indicate that their app / dapp / PoC / project / etc. is “powered by IOTA”. Note that
displaying a “powered by IOTA” logo allows you to make use of the IOTA logo in both commercial (for-profit) and
non-commercial (non-profit) projects while also complying with the CC BY-SA 4.0 license requirement that your use
of the logo does not in any way suggest that the licensor endorses you or your project.
These examples are also intended to be illustrative rather than exhaustive. Once again, all “identifier” uses of
the IOTA logo must always comply with the CC BY-SA 4.0 license requirement that your use of the logo does not in
any way suggest that the licensor endorses you or your project.
IOTA Foundation logo
The IOTA Foundation logo is associated with the Berlin-incorporated, non-profit foundation that stewards the
development and standardization of core IOTA technologies. This logo is trademarked and its use is restricted to
the IOTA Foundation and official partners to whom the IOTA Foundation grants its explicit written consent on a
per-use basis. No other uses of the IOTA Foundation logo are permitted.